Adaptogen teas are a great way to give your body a boost and support your mental wellness. Whether you’re looking for more energy, focus, stress reduction, relaxation, or sleep, adaptogenic teas can help. In this blog post, we’ll explore some of the best adaptogen teas that offer these benefits and how you can choose the best one for you.
This post was written by Lindsay Delk, RDN. It is for informational purposes and is not intended to replace medical advice or instructions given by your healthcare provider.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
What Are Adaptogens?
ADAPTogens are substances that help your body ADAPT to stress. They are plants and herbs that have been used for centuries in traditional medicine systems, such as ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine.
Research indicates that these herbs contain active compounds that interact with the body’s hormones and other physiological processes. They help to improve the body’s response to physical, chemical, psychological, and environmental stressors.
Adaptogens work by helping the body regulate cortisol production. Cortisol is a hormone produced during times of stress or danger. Long-term elevated levels of cortisol can lead to various health issues ranging from heart disease to anxiety and depression. Adaptogenic herbs can reduce cortisol secretion and help the body cope with stress.
There are several different types of adaptogenic herbs available today, such as ashwagandha, rhodiola rosea, ginseng, and holy basil. All these herbs possess unique health benefits but work together in an integrated fashion to support the body’s response to mental and physical stressors.
Benefits of Adaptogenic Teas
Different adaptogens improve energy levels, enhance immunity, reduce inflammation, boost cognitive performance, and protect against the negative effects of stress.
They are used for a variety of medical conditions, including depression, anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, and more. While there is still much to learn about adaptogens and their potential benefits, research has shown that these herbs can help promote overall wellbeing.
Drinking adaptogen teas are a good way to get your adaptogens. Here’s why:
- Teas provide a convenient, easy-to-consume form of adaptogens. You can enjoy your adaptogen tea hot or iced. Just the act of enjoying a cup of tea can be calming and reduce stress.
- Adaptogen teas often have a pleasant taste and smell, making them enjoyable to drink on a regular basis.
- Adaptogenic teas are often blended with other ingredients, such as fruits, spices, and herbs to enhance their flavor and add additional health benefits. This makes them a great option for those who don’t like the taste of some adaptogens in their raw form.
- Some adaptogen tea bags are easy to find in grocery stores, making it a convenient way to add the benefits of adaptogens into your daily routine.
- You can brew your tea to fit your individual tastes and preferences—allowing for different levels of potency and flavor.
- Since they are generally caffeine-free, you can enjoy adaptogen teas any time of day without disrupting your sleep cycle.
Types of Adaptogen Teas
Best Tea for Focus and Energy
- Rhodiola rosea tea (study)
- Eleuthero root tea (also called acanthopanax or Siberian ginseng) (study)
- Holy basil tea (study)
Best Tea for Stress Relief
- Ashwagandha tea (study)
- Lemon balm tea (study)
- Passionflower tea (study)
- Low-caffeine green tea (study)
Best Relaxation Tea / Best Tea for Sleep
How to Choose the Best Quality Adaptogen Teas
When choosing the best quality adaptogen tea, there are a few things to consider.
- Check the ingredients list: When buying adaptogenic teas, you should only see one or a few plant names on the ingredient list. There shouldn’t be any additives or preservatives. Avoid artificial food colorings. You only need the adaptogenic herbs steeped in water to make adaptogen tea.
- Research the brand: Do some research into the company producing the tea to make sure they’re reputable and use quality-sourced herbs in their products.
- Examine the leaves: The tea leaves should appear more green than brown unless your tea contains bark or other brown ingredients. Browner leaves could indicate that the tea is not as fresh.
- Smell the tea leaves: When you open the container of adaptogenic tea leaves, you should immediately enjoy the strong smell of the herbal ingredients. If the tea leaves don’t have a strong smell, then they may not be very fresh.
- Try before you buy: If possible, sample a few different adaptogen teas before making your final purchase to make sure that you find one that suits your taste.
- Look for reviews: Before buying any adaptogen tea, read some customer reviews online to get an idea of what others think about the product and if it is worth purchasing.
Something To Keep in Mind
Adaptogens are a powerful way to support your body’s natural ability to cope with daily stress, but you should only use them under the guidance of a healthcare provider. Everyone has different health needs and adaptogenic teas may not be appropriate for everyone. Consult with your healthcare provider before taking any adaptogens or changing your diet.
Drinking teas made with adaptogens is an easy way to reap their many benefits and enjoy a tasty beverage at the same time. By understanding the different adaptogen teas and their potential benefits, you can make better decisions about which adaptogenic tea is best suited to your individual needs and lifestyle – whether it’s increased focus and energy, stress relief, or relaxation and sleep. What is your favorite adaptogenic tea?